Forever Movie Queen Susan Roces turned a year wiser last July 28. Susan is one of the most-liked, most-loved and most-respected actresses in the industry. Last Sunday, we on The Buzz paid tribute to her via a special video essay.
Susan was a movie fan who adored Gloria Romero. While vacationing in Manila, she visited Sampaguita Studios to see her idol. Her beauty and presence caught the attention of Dr. Jose "Doc" Perez, the patriarch of Sampaguita Pictures who asked her to audition. Susan passed the test with flying colors and the rest they say is history.
Susan is back on television in Iisa Pa Lamang which casts her with the country's most popular actors, Gabby Concepcion, Diether Ocampo, Angelica Panganiban, Cherie Pie Picache, Laurice Guillen and Claudine Barretto.
Susan was 10 years old when she was first seen on screen in the movie Mga Bituin ng Kinabukasan. She was launched in the movie Boksingera. As an actress she was paired with Juancho Gutierrez, Jose Mari Gonzalez, Romeo Vasquez, Eddie Gutierrez and Fernando Poe Jr. Her love team with Fernando Poe Jr. was the most bankable. It was also a pairing that led to the altar. When FPJ passed away, Susan was the epitome of grace and courage.
Here's what friends and co-actors say about Susan:
* Gabby Concepcion: Tita Susan is my idol. Napaka-galing niya mag-suggest ng ideas. Because of her suggestions, we were able to shoot several scenes in record time.
* Angelica Panganiban: Tita Susan is respected both as a person and as an actress. She is one of a kind. People look up to her. Pag ka-eksena mo na, matatakot ka. Pero pag nagkikita kayo off-cam, hindi. She's very sweet.
* Diether Ocampo: We call her Nanay Susan dahil para siya 'yung tumatayong ilaw ng aming tahanan padating dito sa set ng Iisa Pa Lamang. She is highly respected. It is a big honor to work with her.
* Jodi Sta. Maria: I miss her words of wisdom.
* Maja Salvador: She treats me like a daughter. I love her.
* Kris Aquino: Super special sa akin si Tita Susan. She takes time to make you feel special. I have learned a lot from her about life, stardom and about being a wife. She handles herself with so much dignity. She is a very generous and loving person. The way she carries herself is an inspiration to me.
Kris & James enjoying vacation
Kris Aquino and husband James Yap left for the US a few days ago for a much-needed vacation. The trip is their gift for each other on their third wedding anniversary. They must now be sight-seeing in New York, watching some plays and visiting the NBA store.
"We'll be in New York for nine days and then in Las Vegas for five days," Kris told me before they left. "We have been planning for this trip for two months. We time this trip with James' break from the games. I had to do advance tapings for my shows."
Before leaving, Kris and James had dinner with her mom, former Pres. Cory Aquino.
"She told us, 'Have a safe trip; enjoy and see you'," Kris recalled. "We heard Mass at 6 p.m. and then we had dinner. James and I will be back on Aug. 18 in time for my dad (Ninoy Aquino's) 25th death anniversary."
Kris also revealed their US itinerary.
"We'll go on a tour of New York City and then the Sex and The City tour. The plays we are watching are Little Mermaid, Legally Blonde, and Wicked. In Las Vegas, we will watch the show of Cher and the Cirque de Soliel."
Juday & Ryan apart 'for a while'
Judy Ann Santos and Ryan Agoncillo have agreed to separate for a while. No, they are not breaking up. They just decided to work separately for a change, after all they have been working together on several projects, the last of which was the teleserye Ysabella which lasted for more than a year. Add to that their movies together, Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo and Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo.
"Its about time na maghiwalay muna kami ng projects," said Juday. "Ryan wants to focus hosting and I, on drama."
Juday thinks it is healthy when partners take a breather, once in a while. In her newest TV show, Humiling Ka Sa Langit, she will be paired with Derek Ramsay.
"I've always been comfortable working with Derek," added Juday.On the other hand, Ryan should be in South Africa by this time, shooting episodes for the new show Fear Factor which he is hosting. Ryan went through a thorough medical check-up that included flu vaccination. He will be in South America for almost a month.
Showbiz Top i-News
Please send your comments, suggestions, and reaction to our email address...
Please dont forget to put a comment on each article. Thanks!
Your thoughts are important to us. So be it!